The Six Month Update

 You would think after waiting so long to get my Volkswagen van, I would have been on Cloud 9.  The truth is, I immediately got hit with a big dose of buyer's remorse.  

The transmission was very notchy with the shifting.  The odometer didn't turn and the working ac turned out to not work.  Only one power window switch worked and it only worked the passenger side and the locks didn't lock.  I also had a check engine light that would come on.  What the hell had I gotten myself into?

I realized that the transmission would have been the biggest issue I needed to deal with.  According to the previous owner, he had had transmission work done but the shifting would hang going from first to second and second to third.  Because of Covid, it took a while before I was able to get it into a mechanic.  The mechanic was local but had a great rep and even owned a Eurovan.  He knew the transmission issues on Eurovans inside and out so I figured I was in good hands.  

Despite my hope, the Eurovan sat at his shop for six weeks.  He diagnosed the transmission issues as being a combination of a vacuum issue that was tripping the check engine light the transmission just needing some adjustment.  He did confirm that it looked like the EV had had recent transmission work.  Somehow though, after six weeks, the transmission still shifted hard.  He did solve the check engine light.  After six weeks, I still had a notchy transmission, a fixed check engine light, a slightly better running motor, new plugs and wires and a new battery.  I was also $1000 out of pocket.  

After three months of ownership, the EV was finally home and I felt like it was safe to drive.  

Over the next three months, I would tackle a host of issues some of which I am still tackling.  

Here is a recent post I made on The Samba about the power windows issue.

Power Window Thread  

and here is a thread that I am still currently addressing about the power door locks.

Power Door Lock Thread

I used a dent puller to work on pulling out some of the larger dents that were in the side door with some small success.  

I changed the headlights to LEDs and then switched them back after being informed that they weren't designed for LEDs and that I would more than likely blind people on the road. 

I was able to score some Mercedes rims and then purchased new correct load rated tires.

Though there has been a lot of work, there has definitely been some fun times getting the EV out and about.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And So It Begins (Part III)

Summer '22 update